Guitar Cracks Splits

I have a crack in my guitar top that is small, but apparent. How do I fix this.

A crack or split in the soundboard (or anywhere) of an acoustic guitar needs to be evaluated to see if it's in a place that affects the structural integrity of the guitar. At the very least, it should be sealed up to keep out contamination. If the repairman decides to do the big fix, he'll cut a small area and glue in a shim replacement piece of wood of the same type and re-finish. If he does a good job, it won't be too noticeable.

If it's a smaller crack he will glue and clamp it and after it dries he may glue a wooden cleat usually made of spruce for extra support across the crack inside the guitar.

Wooden Cleat

Bob, Gman ( o )==#



HOME                         BACK TO CARE & PRESERVATION TIPS