Guitar Gluing Repairs

The trim on the edge of my guitar is coming off. Can I use any kind of glue like Elmer's to fix it or should I have a repairman do it?

You have to be careful what types of glue you use on an acoustic guitar. Different types of glue are used for different purposes. Animal or hide glue is used a lot in guitar making and is tricky to use properly. In the case of your binding coming off, Elmer's glue won't work. I know from experience. I actually had a repairmen use it once on my D18 for that purpose. It came back off in a few days. Duco Cement is usually used to hold on bindings.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's better to take it to an experienced repairman. Repairs like gluing trim are not expensive to have done the first time. If you repair it improperly and and then have to have it fixed again properly, it may be considered a restoration instead of a repair and cost more to have it fixed and the results may not be as satisfactory.

Bob, Gman ( o )==#



HOME                         BACK TO CARE & PRESERVATION TIPS